Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Soy in food
I believe that soy will make you healthier- in moderation. Like anything in life, even food which seems harmless at first can quickly become a serious problem if it is abused. Everything is good in moderation, no matter how good it seems at first. This is why the diets that claim you can lose weight by eating nothing but carbs, which is very unhealthy. Also, your body really doesn't know what protein it's breaking down. However, soy does contain some rather unhealthy substances, and was listed as an industrial product not a food in the 1913 USDA handbook. Soy baby food is also very unhealthy for babies to eat, as a days worth of soy baby food has enough phytoestrogens to mimic giving the infant 5 birth control pills a day. The soy plant is also very susceptible to any metals in the soil in which it grows, so if it is grown in a field with a lot of aluminum, there will be excess amounts of aluminum in the end soy products. However, eating about 25 to 50 grams of soy a day can reduce your LDL, or bad cholesterol by 10%. Soy also fights the narrowing of blood vessels, which leads to heart disease and hypertension, the silent killers of America. Like I said, in reasonable amounts, soy improve your health and improve your life. In excess, however, it can be dangerous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find it very interesting that when eating a soy product you may not only be eating the soy but also the metals in the ground from which it was taken. I completely agree that soy is to be eaten only in moderation. However, I'm not convinced that the pros outway the cons when given to infants. Nice Job!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your beginning statement, that anything is good for you in moderation, and this is especially true about soy. I brought this up in my post as well. Good job!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on this steven becuase soybeans are healthy in moderation. All foods usually contain something thats not good for you. I used the exact same thing about babies and soybean consumption with the five pills per day.
ReplyDelete