Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Industrialized Farming
Last month, a salmonella scare raised by unsanitary conditions at a peanut butter plant in Georgia caused widespread panic and ended in a recall of millions, if not billions of products that contained the dangerous peanut paste. The fact that this scare affected as many people as it did is the way we farm now. Industrialized farming is the way of the future when it comes to farming, because the concentration of resources is the best way to make a profit in a free market economy. However, this does not mean that it is the perfect way to make food for purchase. As demonstrated by the peanut butter scare, if one plant of farm has a problem, it affects the entire country and economy, which is like putting all our eggs in one basket, a proverbial no-no. However, with enough trucks to transport california strawberries all the way to Erie Pa, it would seem like a waste not to use the countries infrastructure to diversify the food at the local supermarket. It also means that if one community is in drought, the rest of the country can pick in and send them food to eat so they don't starve. However, everyone has a niche, so try to buy from the local farm. Usually the food will be fresher anyways, and you could be saving a local job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree Steven, although I recognize the benefits of industrialized farming, I also recognize the fact that our economy is less stable when we rely too strongly on several large farms.
ReplyDeleteI see where becky is coming from completely. I defeintely like the idea of supporting local farmers rather than industrial farmers.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you steven because the peanut butter scare was huge on the news.(even though i cant eat it) If local farmers made products that we get from huge companies they would be fresher and they would help keep jobs in the United States.
ReplyDeleteI would like to comment that you have a truly wonderful style of writing...if those were your words (which I don't doubt that they are). I do agree with you that by funding one large industrialized farm, if even one single batch of food gets contaminated, the rest of that specific type of food do as well. By localizing our farms, we will better stabilize our weakened economy, encourage the production of foods from smaller farms, and enjoy fresher, cleaner, and healthier foods. Not much good is coming from the few, large industrialized farms and the sooner we realize this, the sooner we will experience the benefits I just listed. Magnificent job my semi-bald buddy.
ReplyDelete